Publishing the unpublishable while growing up and finding complacency

My photo
Sydney, Australia
So far, much of the content here started life as a rather embarrassing personal journal, but it's now something I can begin to be proud of. In a warped way, both my sites are the growing inbred children of the now defunct parental site: www.butterboxmedia.com and characteristically (if not genetically) remain under construction. So for that I will apologize, but I won't ever say sorry for my inability to deal with the everyday, the trashy, the crappy, the dismissive, mass stupidity, the bland and the empty. Below are a few reviews from long ago that I exhumed from www.landofsurfandbeer.com.au, a site where I once occasionally posted under the screen name of hed. I have not changed the content of the reviews, however I have corrected my naff punctuation, incorrect spelling and frequent inability to use grammar correctly. Who knows? Perhaps one day this too will be corrected. In the meantime, the best hope you have at getting me to post anything about anything is by virtue of either being really terrible or really wonderful. Roll the dice.

The Library

Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Una's

340 Victoria Street DARLINGHURST
Phone 93606885


Review originally posted on the 28th of December 2002


Hans Mohr crystallized the tiny space in Sydney. An old butcher shop on the inner-city fringe became a fish cafe with a dozen chairs at the counter plus four tables. The pub next-door improved delays encountered as Mohr's wait staff maneuvered punters through the door, menu and then out the door again. I read Mohr was expanding into meat and thought I'd investigate. However the fish cafe was closed and extensions were still builder's rubble so I kept walking towards Victoria Street, Darlinghurst.

I always feel sartorially clumsy in these frostily cool city precincts. I may wear the new black, but it usually looks too black, and my shoes also seem to shine with surplus obligation. Whereas on me, the studied look of nonchalance suggests hobo.

Una's replenished my jaded spirit. It's been around for thirty-two years. Ancient by our standards. Serving Central "continental" food, there's goulash, schnitzel etc., plus pasta for that metropolitan touch. Considering two out of four reviews recount this style of cuisine, maybe it's the new black.

I then planned a coffee at Latteria just a few doors up. Where one couldn't swing a slender cat without hitting a model, or somebody in broadcasting or something. But it was also under renovation. So instead I hit Coluzzi, est. 1957, where they pour superior coffee and are deservedly famous for just being there, too.

The Inner-harbor ferry back to Greenwich, where I'd parked the '82NV (non-vintage) Mitsubishi, corrected to the last notch the woozy fatigue I always feel after spending a day amongst the sophisticates.

The sainted creators of LoSaB have installed a star system of ratings. In addition, I will contribute a lateral assessment of locations visited:

Mohr: Proximity to pub: Next-door
202 Devonshire St. SURRY HILLS
Phone; 93181326

Una's: Proximity to "the life": Next-door.

Latteria: Proximity to Una's: Next-door.

Coluzzi: Proximity to pioneering prominence: The buck started here.
323 Victoria St. DARLINGHURST
Phone; 93805420

All inference is as broad as a brewery horses bum.

- Peter Thornton December, 2002

No comments: